Monday, April 15, 2013

Owning Acceptance: A Step Toward Recovery

Recovery comes as application and action meet acceptance and chain-breaking freedom.  Acceptance is critical in recovery, whether the condition is open heart surgery or disordered eating.  Life can be classified as before, moments of struggle, moments of clarity, and walking forward.  Like the scar, there are physical reminders of what happened. 
 

Acceptance fits in the process of knowing that there will be lifestyle changes and this process can't be rushed.  You sit with acceptance.  You release the grip on what is holding you back, allowing your circulation to come back to your hands.  Life truly begins when you let go, opening your hands to receive grace and mercy.  

Acceptance and owning this acceptance aren't especially different.  Owning acceptance is a path to freedom, moving the focus away from the pain of the past and into the here and now.

This quote is an example of owning acceptance.

"I'm working really hard on accepting who I am now- the one who wants to get better.  And I still have not so great days.  I am proud that I am having more good days and I try to be skillful on tough days.  I'm taking it one day at a time.  I believe in my recovery...and I'm worth it."

No comments:

Post a Comment