Sunday, April 14, 2013

Brene Brown and My Aha Moment

I have big news talk to about.  Words on paper aren't enough to describe my plan and dream.  I will be Dr. Sarah and I'm not letting go of that dream.  I will be here, but may not in educational psychology.  I want to pursue my PhD and focus on qualitative research, mood disorders, neurological differences, and dialectical behavior therapy. 

The middle step is to see the nature of social work and the research opportunities available in Houston.  I want to take Dr. Brené Brown's shame and empathy class.  I like what I know about the department and Dr. Brown so far, both in working with you and watching her Oprah interview.   

Brené Brown quote of the week:

“Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change” (Brené Brown, 2013).



So I've been kind of quiet lately...in a distant way.  I see what's going on and it's just hard to change.  It's about external stressors and the internal conflict that comes when it's hard to express my emotions, thoughts, and reactions.  I get that.  I experience it like "You are wrong for even thinking that" kind of way...so shame comes and it hurts.  I was trying to be nice and helpful...it blew up in my face...and I will look into finding a way to talk to her about it.

I think the quote kind of describes where I am now, but I see change as more probable than I did earlier this month.  Progress not perfection.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment