Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Meeting Shari Manning

On a rainy evening in May, I was looking through YouTube videos about borderline personality disorder.  I found Carla Sharp's lecture at Menninger last November.  I was one of the first to sign up for the conference, but caught a cold and couldn't go.  Dr. Sharp's lecture is very research oriented and filled with data, statistical analyses, and references.  Be sure to check the video of her lecture at the link below.


After watching the lecture, a video with Shari Manning at the same conference popped up on my screenExcited, I clicked on the video.   

Loving Someone With Borderline Personality Disorder: A Model of Emotional Regulation by Shari Manning Ph.D.

The first words that came to mind were "she is intense," so I was a little nervous when I walked to the front table to introduce myself.  "Hello, Dr. Manning.  My name is Sarah Turner.  I am so glad to be here."

"Not Dr. Manning, Sarah, it's Shari.  So you're the student."  

"Yes.  Thank you for letting me come," I replied, as I looked around the room of the PhDs, MDs, LPCs, LMSWs, and me.  I felt out of place at first, like I wasn't ready for this, but Shari's bell for the call of attention for mindfulness brought "my mind where my feet are." 

As the week continued, I saw Shari's passion for dialectical behavior therapy and the need for further research.  I had so many questions about DBT research, yet I knew that it was time for lunch.  I asked Shari if she would have lunch with me.  She agreed that we would meet on the fourth day of the training, a Sunday in May.  

I had learned the hard way that it is essential to be prepared for meetings, so I started reading about other DBT researchers, including Shireen Rizvi and Linda Dimeff.  I sifted through the literature for the integration of technology in mental health.  I found great journal articles by Shireen Rizvi.  I poured my energy into getting ready for the meeting.  

One of my more helpful ways to cope with anxiety is to prepare for the meeting until it's almost time for bed, and then curl up with a fun book and my journal.  I did enjoy Calvin and Hobbes.


Shari and I were in line for lunch at Menninger.  Shari placed her order and said, "I'm paying for me and the girl behind me.  (Turns to me) You can pay for lunch when you are a professional.  Graduate students never pay for lunch with me."  I was so surprised and honored, a feeling that stays with me when I think of her.

As soon as lunch started, we were knee deep in concepts and applications of DBT research; it was like wading into a teeming river of ideas.  I was so excited to have an intellectual conversation about the skills and ways to teach others about DBT, a therapy we believe can change lives.  We have a common goal: to make DBT more accessible and available to more clinicians and clients.  

The DBT training in Houston is the first of many steps for me.  I will be pursuing mixed methodology studies in the upcoming years.  My current passion is qualitative research.  I will be learning more about quantitative methods soon, as much of the current DBT research is primarily quantitative.  

Shari has been so welcoming of new ideas throughout the training.  I will look forward to reading her book, Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder: How to Keep Out-of-Control Emotions from Destroying Your Relationship

I asked her to sign my copy.  This is the note:

To Sarah- 

Best wishes in your career as a DBT researcher and thank you in advance!

- S. Manning

As we said goodbye next day, she gave me a warm hug and smiled.  Her encouragement has increased my confidence in my ideas and aided me in moving forward in my career as a researcher.

I will look forward to the online section of the training over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment