Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meeting Marsha Linehan

"Dr. Linehan, hi, my name is Sarah.  I love your work.  Would you sign my copy of your book?"  I asked as I held out The Big Red Book,Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

I had the honor of listening to Dr. Linehan at a talk when she accepted the 2012 Joan and Stanford Alexander Award in Psychiatry.  She talked about the history of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), where it has been, where it is now, and where it is going.  

I want to be a part of this movement, to be a part of the DBT community.  Over the next three months, I will be learning and practicing the skills presented in the Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder (Linehan, 1993). 

Schedule:

Monday: Mindfulness, Specific Topic (ex: Biosocial Approach), and Goal Setting

Tuesday: Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, and Radical Acceptance

Wednesday: Mindfulness, Emotional Regulation, and Validation

Thursday: Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, and Dialectics

Friday: Mindfulness, Weekly Review, and Goal Setting

No comments:

Post a Comment