Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day Five: The Synthesis of Opposites

 The basic model of dialectical thinking involves the merging of two perspectives, the synthesis of opposites.


In dialectical thinking, there is value in each perspective.  One way to frame dialectics is to connect phrases with "both. . .and. . ."
Example:
"I have made a lot of progress, and there are still things I would like to change."

"I feel vulnerable when I talk about my depression with others, and I feel support when I meet my friends at our favorite coffee shop."

"You have your perspective and I have mine.  We can both be correct."

In dialectical thinking, the answer may be found in shades of gray, as opposed to the black-and-white world of absolutes and all-or-nothing views.  The existence of black-and-white thinking is often seen in individuals with borderline personality disorder and eating disorders.

In this example, there are some cheerleading statements woven into the dialectical framework of acceptance of current self and the need for change.

Example:

"I'm working really hard at accepting who I am now- the one who wants to get better.  I still have not so great days.  I am proud that I am having more good days.  My goal is to be skillful on tough days."

Another way to think about dialectics is to think about seeing the situation from the other person's point of view.  What does she see?  What do I see?  How has he responded when faced with similar circumstances?  What did I do last time I was in a situation like this?  



No comments:

Post a Comment